Get a Website
Part of what makes a great school is having a smart, well put together website. Your website is the virtual environment of your school and anyone who visits, must feel exactly how they would feel in the actual environment.
Having a website, gives you an edge over your competitors globally.
STOP FOCUSSING ON COSTS AND START LOOKING AT BENEFITS!
Benefits of having a constantly updated website
- It Enhances communication (Provides interactivity with visitors through forms and chat line)
- It Engages Social Media and by that reaches more stakeholders (who are on those platforms)
- It Saves time and money (do reduce print costs)
- It Enhances Learning Experience (ELE) through provision of resources section on the website e.g. notes, videos, images, presentations, accessible by students, parents and teachers.
- It Improves the Brand Image of The School (international environment do not take schools without active websites seriously)
- The Current Ghana Post System supports digitization of your Schoo’s location and address. A website in such a time gives you great unsurpassed advantages.
Now that you know this, it is time to get a good website.
Get Good Features on your Website
Your school’s website should have the following features:
- Easy navigation for parents, students and staff.
- A display of Google Maps Location of your school.
- A lot of high quality pictures of your environment.
- Your school’s certifications and achievements.
- Calendar of activities for each term.
- Profiles and qualifications of your teachers.
- A blog to post news items of activities in the school as well as other articles.
- Linked to Social Media platforms e.g. Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to increase your reach.
- Parents should be able to see their
- children’s grades,
- what classes they’re taking,
- if there has been any absences, or lateness.
- Students depending on their level would be able
- to see their grades,
- access assignments so they can see whether or not they’ve turned in assignments.
- E-mail addresses for teachers.
Get a Good Developer
The thing about these websites is that, they aren’t easy to set up. School officials often think that one of their staff members is capable of creating the ideal website, but this can be a big problem. Even with today’s online templates and cheap web domains, it takes time and know-how to be able to create an ideal school website. There are numerous advantages to using a professional company to build your school’s website.
Doing everything by yourself will only consume time and stress you out.
One of the main advantages of using a professional company is time. Instead of taking months for your staff to come up with a website, a professional company can have it up and running in just a few weeks. Because they’re in the business of creating these websites, they will ask you a lot of questions, some of which you probably didn’t think about, so they can help you create a site that brings people back to your site again and again.
Another advantage of hiring a professional to set up your school website is less cost. Creating a website on your own is going to cost you money any way you look at it. However it is going to cost you more to have someone on staff try to do it, because you’ll have to pay them extra, and may also leave them with few hours to do their job which can make them inefficient. While every school has a limited budget to spend on a website, hiring the cheapest person you find isn’t a good idea. They are not going to take the time to do a quality job, and it may cost you more money to have someone else fix it. With a professional, only high quality design is allowed, so you can be assured your money is well spent.
It is good to note the éLyn from UMS Digital provides the best Management Service for Schools in Ghana
It’s not just about having great access. Your school’s website needs to be constantly updated with articles, pictures and video of projects, events and activities that happen each term, like
- Sporting events,
- Easter Floats
- School dances
- Africa day
- Carrier day,
- Cultural day,
- Speech and prize giving day
- School anniversary
- Founder’s Day
- Teacher’s Send-off ceremony or party
- Building Projects
- Open Day
- Carol’s Service
- and other activities.
Things to Consider
If you are a school looking to develop your own website, there are some things you need to know.
- You need to use a website developer that specializes in school websites.
- You also need a designer that allows you to be involved with the design and creation. There’s nothing worse than spending all the time and money telling a designer what you want and they come up with something completely different.
- You also want a designer that has great customer service, and is available when you need them. If you discover a problem, no matter what it may be, you should be able to contact the company immediately, either through their online chat or email.
- Finally, you need a developer that can support with management services, at a regular fee of course, be it monthly, quarterly or annually etc.; never encourage free service, you will end up paying dearly for it.
These are just some of the things to look for in a professional website builder.
You want your school’s website to not only be the best, but take you school to the next level in online exposure.
For more information on other available services to support your business, company or organisation, kindly visit our Products and Services page.